Life as a 3L at Texas Law

8.02.2007

Humdrum Thursday

[I've been told that some people are actually interested in the insipid details of my humdrum, waffling everyday life and that I should write a post about what it is that I do while I'm on the other side of the Bar and not yet beginning BigLaw life.]

Today I woke up at 1:30pm at Nathan's. He and his friends and roommates kept me up all night watching Big Love, Star Trek (DS9 and Voyager), Entourage and So You Think You Can Dance. (It's what we do when we hang). And that's a picture of Neelix from Voyager- gawd, he bugs me so much- I don't understand the reason Neelix's character exists- he's a freaking cook that knows about top secret information! What the hell? So anyways, waking up in the afternoon was not unforeseen. The weather was nice- sun was out. (It's not anymore though- stupid Austin cloudiness- this will go down as the gloomiest summer in Austin history, me thinks.) Anyways, so I got online, checked my email, posted on the blog, checked my usual blog roll, made some changes to my facebook and myspace profiles (re: music I'm listening to today- which would be Ladytron and Mates of State) and chatted on AIM a bit with K8, Audrey and Iain.

K8 and I got in a friendly argument re: my bitching about traffic on I-35 and the fact I have nothing to do but wait for people to get off work and hang out at Clementine's. 35 is notoriously horrid from 8-9AM and 3-8PM daily. But I refuse to take another thoroughfare like Lamar or Guadalupe because I hate traffic lights, and 35 should theoretically be faster anyways. Then I bitch about 35 traffic- and people get annoyed because I keep getting on 35 even though I know what's going to happen.

So after I traversed Austin from Nathan's I ran my errand of the day (that's how I'm rolling- an errand a day). I went up to Student Affairs to get a copy of my transcript, only to find that it's available online and I didn't even have to go up to the Law School to print one out. (Ed: I forgot to mention that I thieved a pen from the Student Affairs Office that it had obviously acquired from "firm shwag"- so I didn't feel so bad. It is a Cox Smith Matthews pen, after all. What!?! I used up all of my pens taking the Bar!)I needed my transcript to send in my Sallie Mae Bar Study Law Loan application- I am broke, and hopefully $15K is coming my way to get me through until I start said BigLaw life. Then I went to UPS to overnight the loan application and had to get on the phone with Sallie Mae peeps to get an address UPS could mail to (all I had was a P.O. Box address). I wish I would have taken care of my loan stuff in May- it would've saved me bundles in overdraft fees- but I didn't. So someone call the wuambulance. While running my errand I spoke to my mom re: my dad's 60th birthday coming up on 8/8/07 (would've been cooler if he was turning 60 next year on 8/8/8) and how Daisy is doing now that she's (temporarily) in the 'rents' care.

Then I ran by Chango's and ordered my usual- two grilled shrimp tacos (sin vegetables) with cheese on corn tortilla to go. Only they accidentally gave me mahi instead of shrimp, which I didn't realize until I'd already left. So I suffered through mahi- it was a'ight. The shrimp tacos are way better, though. To Clementine's I went- where I am running online errands, reading interesting blog news and anecdotes on the internets, playing around on iminlikewithyou.com (have recently gotten three of my friends addicted to it- it's still in beta), posting, and getting ready to go to Kate and John's for dinner (we decided to officially end our fight by 7PM). I also read a couple pages of the new issue of Paper and got through the second chapter of The Time Traveler's Wife.

After dinner I might meet up with friend(s) for Great Northern and The Comas who are playing at Emo's at 10pm tonight. If not, then I don't know.

And there you have it.

No comments: