Life as a 3L at Texas Law

8.12.2007

Hot child in the city

My friend Audrey is biking and camping through Australia for the next 3 months. (Hardcore- I know.) Anyways, she is blogging about the whole thing at Adventursaurus Rex if that's your sort of thing. I don't like bugs too much. But I did tag along on an R.E.I. run on Friday and there are all sorts of fun gadgets to be purchased for the outsdoorsperson.

Audrey's going away dinner was last night at Eastside Cafe. She has a wide assortment of friends, making the whole group quite eclectic. It was v. fun and Eside was delectable- I have only been one time before and now I regret not making it a mainstay in my Austin dining adventures. Oh wellz.

After that I went to see superheavygoatass play at Room 710 w/ the John and Kate faction. We saw them right after I took the Bar and it was a great show- I was excited to see them again. We started at jackalope (which was not nearly as packed as it has been the past few weekends)- by 12:15 we were pretty beat. Marshall Dylan was just ending his set at Room 710 at Split Hoof was warming up- we decided to jet because it was late and we were tired and wanting just to chill and sleep early.

I bought some new CD's- the new Okkervill River (the stage names) from Best Buy no doubt; and the Brunettes (structure & cosmetics), the National (Boxer), and the self-titled The Knife at Waterloo. Going to Waterloo is always such a treat- and I even got treated with ambivalence and resentment by an employee- it totally felt like the full Waterloo experience. Have given each CD at least superficial listens so far:
Okkervil: I like the beginning of the album and think the first track is really tight ("Our life is not a movie but maybe"). It begins to lose my interest by the fifth track and I start inadvertently humming Menomena. I'm a little disappointed with this album, I'm not going to lie.

the brunettes: I just love the name of the band, to begin with. My favorite two songs thus far on the album are tracks 3 and 4 ("Her Hairigami Set-" which is the song that was released ahead of the album by a couple of months and sounds a lot like *good* Imogen Heap) and "Credit Card Mail Order." They're kind of all over the place with this one genre-wise- which means the album both has expansive range but does not flow well from song to song. Like it a lot so far.

The National: It's just fantastic. John thinks they sound like Morissey (and he loves Morissey). The lyrics are great, the music is tight, it's a great album. And I am so bummed I will have to miss seeing them in concert.

The Knife: this is their 2001 self-titled debut (I wanted to buy Deep Cuts but Waterloo was all out). The album is what I expected- 50% mad beats that make me start dancing in my car, 50% kind of amateurish-sounding and annoying.

But what do I know, really? I'm not a musician...
Pictures from this weekend:

Driving around on William Cannon from Sara's to eside cafe.


Waiting in line at the Bank of America ATM on 5th and San Jacinto. There were like 15 people standing around it. It was odd.


hardcore love.


Kate and I jackalope it up with our Grape Martinis (grape vodka and 7-Up). Yum!


Marshall Dylan and his huge muttonchops. hot.


'Loo graffiti inside Room 710.
And it's dirty-hot here in the atx (hence the blog title).

No comments: