
On Sunday I woke up around noon and headed over to Dr. Mario's for a house painting adventure. The Doc is big on home improvement- she's going to flip her first house in a couple of years (that's the plan at least). She had a lot of work to do on her master br/ba, and I suggested she throw a "Painting Party" and use alcohol and food as inducements to friends to come over and get their home improvement on. Well, she did- and it was like her very own Trading Spaces. Well, I guess it wasn't really like Trading Spaces- she didn't switch houses with anyone; and we didn't have a $2000 budget- there weren't cameras there either. Nevermind, it wasn't at all like the television program Trading Spaces.
The Doc invited people over both Saturday and Sunday (I only attended the Sunday festivities). We did something called "mudding" on the walls; primed and painted two coats on all of the walls and the ceilings; replaced some carpet; removed some fixtures; painted some fixtures; did some sanding; and then passed out on the patio chairs while eating burgers and drinking vino. It was a huge undertaking- fortunately we had nine people helping out. Unfortunately, we forgot to take "before and after" pictures.
(This picture isn't of us painting. I stole it from the interweb, after googling "tired painters." Yes, I thieve from the internet.)I thought I was going to hate doing manual labor- but I actually really enjoyed it. It was very therapeutic, and I got to know the Doc's new boyfriend better (well, he's not really new- they broke up after dating almost a year in December and they recently got back together). Turns out he's going to buy my old Mac Powerbook from me (it's broken)- he's going to fix it, and then give it to his little brother.
There was a great sense of achievement in doing so much work and being so productive. I have been saying that I'm just going to hire painters to paint my new apartment when I move to the Htown... now I'm really not so sure... I definitely had paint all over me. The white-brown 'shell' color I painted the ceiling with got all over my white Hanes t-shirt and it looks like a baby spit up all over me. Busy Day! I'm spending this evening resting and watching old episodes of Scrubs, The Office (British- it comes on PBS), and Sex and the City while updating the blog.
UPDATE: Now I am watching Till There Was You. It's this kind of hARRible romantic comedy starring Jeanne Tripplehorn and Dylan McDermott that's on the Oxygen Channel right now. That's right- I'm watching a girly movie about fate and destiny; the apex of the plot is a 'fight' b/w a writer and a developer to preserve an old Hollywood apartment complex. Sarah Jessica Parker and Jennifer Aniston co-star. That makes this film a star four-fecta! (I don't know why I'm being bitter towards this movie- I've seen it at least 20x and I'm sitting here staying up, watching it right now.)
Here's the requisite YouTube video of I'm From Barcelona playing their song entitled, "The Painter." They're at the End of the Road Festival 2006 doing a secret set in the Secret Garden.
And yes, I totally made everyone listen to this song while we were painting. I'm cheeky that way.

1 comment:
I like that, according to Google, you and a recent Rutgers University - Camden Campus graduate are the only two to ever turn the phrase "graduation flagellation" on the interweb.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=%22graduation+flagellation%22
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=30890910
Post a Comment