Life as a 3L at Texas Law

6.21.2007

Recently Played

It's been a crazy week of phun and puns. (I dunno... lame attempts at alliteration too?)

The weekend saw me miss my trip to Houston due to monetary and timing constraints. Friday I broke my arse when I slipped on the concrete outside of Barton Creek Saloon- it was kind of awesome and sexy all at the same time. I love looking like the drunk girl who falls all over herself. (I was, by the way, not drunk- my shoes and the concrete just had a low friction coefficient). Anyways, there is now this huge ass bruise on my arse and I'm taking Excedrin Pain meds and can finally sit somewhat comfortably.

Saturday I went to a Big Lebowski bowling party at Dart Bowl (I didn't go in character, although I wish I would have- someone went as the rug- that was perty funny); then out to Barflies; and then some after-parties. Of note was singing "Nothing Better" by the Postal Service at the top of my lungs on the car ride home and defending my deep fondness and appreciation for Battlestar Galactica.

On Sunday I rested. I played maybe seven hours of this game called Rayman: Raving Rabbids which is probably the most fun I've had playing vid games in awhile. If you have a Wii or access to a Wii, I 100% suggest this as a fantastic party game. Then I saw Hostel 2, which I wasn't too thrilled about as I am not the hugest fan of horror movies or torture porn. Who knew that a scene featuring a man who gets his entire man-piece snipped off with a pair of scissors and has it subsequently fed to some possessed dogs could get past those darned censors with a mere R-rating? For me, those kinds of movies are like roller coasters- I only sit through them to prove I could if I wanted to.

Monday I received a bouquet of flowers at BarBri from Opposing Counsel, just because. I'm not sure what kinds of dubious designs or intentions he has (ahem + raised eyebrow), but it was kind of really sweet and thoughtful. I've never had flowers sent to me from anyone other than my parents. It totally made my day- the flowers are goigeous, too! (That's a pic I took of them on my iSight.)

One of my recent projects has been creating a Brat Pack-inspired playlist. It's got some Simple Minds, some Joy Division ("Love Will Tear Us Apart"- love that song!), some Psychedelic Furs, some Thompson Twins, and of course, some Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. I might put it up on iMeem, but for now it's for my listening enjoyment only. :) Oh, and I just came across a cover of the Phil Collins' song "Against All Odds" that The Postal Service did. I've loved that song since I was five or something- and now there's a Postal Service cover. Happiness all around.

Tuesday night I went and saw Menomena (awesome) with JRon and M at the Parish Room. (All Smiles opened- they were a'ight.) There were a lot of people I knew at that show, which was kind of ridic (incl the momentarily emboldened E. Larson.. which was a little awkward, I'm not going to lie; and some girls I was cheerleaders with in junior high that weren't v. nice to me- I ignored them). Anyways, it turned into a long night of boozing at Jackalope (Kate was there at the same time and we totally missed one another) and Side Bar (which reminds me of an outdoor cafeteria room). Good times were had by all.

(I decided to embed the Sesame Street "Menomena" song instead of a video of the band Menomena... because that's how I roll.)

Wednesday the order of the day was trying to find a ticket to see Ghostland Observatory play at Emo's later that night. I failed miserably, even rolling over to Emo's at 3PM to try to use my "girl" charms to score just one ticket. Craigslist was no help either; and the kids at Waterloo just seemed incredibly annoyed that I would even attempt to get a ticket so late in the day. I had relegated myself to an evening of Simpsons, Seinfeld, So You Think You Can Dance and Scrubs watching when I realized my friend Amanda had sent out a MySpace message looking for people to go see Casiotone for the Painfully Alone (who went on at 1AM). I rolled over around 11ish and was able to catch the last 20 minutes of Ghostland (the ticket guards were not being too strict by then). Anyways, some of my friends even ended up on the stage dancing with Ghostland!

Casiotone was super awesome dancy fun, and I've spent the entire day listening to their stuff- it's kind of a Postal Service/Morissey/Bright Eyes shmorgasbord of (again) electronic awesome that sounds like it's been produced in a college dorm room. Here's the video for the song "Nashville Parthenon:"


In conclusion, I'm pretty exhausted and this has been a v. long post (apologies, party people). Tomorrow is the Practice MBE exam and my parents are coming into town to drop off my mini-dachshund Daisy as I am dog-sitting for two weeks. I am tres excited about slowing down, immersing myself in the BarBri and going back to my ordinary, boring and un-cool life filled with finishing up "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, wine, and complaining that there's nothing good on teevee right now (except for Entourage- and I don't even have HBO). Le sigh...

1 comment:

S.Vincent said...

I love the raving rabbids. I have never played the game cause I am broke ass like Bea and don't have a Wii, but they had a great series of commercials that you could probably find on this little known site called youtube.