Life as a 3L at Texas Law

5.01.2007

Clementine Coffee Bar: My New Study Bug Hangout

I came into Clementine today for the first time. I was in search of a new coffee place to hang- I am still too weirded out to walk into the Lava Java, I am never productive at George's Cafe or the library because I see too many people I know and end up talking to them, JP's Java is riddled with parking difficulties, and at La Tazza Fresca I run too high of a risk of running into my former roommate with whom I don't feel like sorting out our unfinished business right now.
Anyways, I always had an aversion to Clementine because it just seems so hipster east Austin blargity blarg I thought if I walked in I would vom from all of its coolness. I was wrong- it's a great place. The atmosphere is very chill. There are a plethora of comfy couches, chairs and tables (channeling IKEA minimalist mod) and outlets to plug into. The art on the wall is some of the best I've seen in any Austin coffee place or restaurant. Since I've been here I've seen about six or seven kids from the law school that I recognize but don't know; a couple of kids I recognize from Sci-Tech (my high school); a chick that used to write the indie music and film column for the McAllen Monitor (my hometown's newspaper); and a plethora of cute boys (ranging from the cowboy booted to the indie-hipster to the average Joe'd out). The peeps on their laptops that have their iTunes networked and available for your listening enjoyment have lots of music I like and thus I feel like I expand my iTunes library temporarily by being in here.
There is bottomless coffee for $2.40, an assortment of food (baked goods, desserts, PB&J sandwiches, tomato basil pesto sandwiches, paninis, breakfasty foods- although no breakfast tacos) and alcoholic beverages to take the edge off of the afternoon or your study grind. Plus, the staff is laid-back and nice. And the hours are pretty decent: they stay open until 11PM on most weekdays, 12AM on Fri's and Sat's. If it hadn't have been raining all day I could've gone out on the porch to estudiando. I think this shall be my study hangout for the remainder of finals... and perhaps even for the Bar too.
And I just spilled coffee on my Conflicts of Law textbook. I think that means it's meant to be.

UPDATE: This place has A-C-T-I-O-N, too. Thirty minutes ago four cop cars showed up outside- I don't know what went down outside but a whole bunch of yuppies were on their cell phones and someone ended up leaving with the cops (on friendly terms- they weren't arrested).

1 comment:

Jarren said...

You always crack me up. Post finals I may get back into my blog, but that's the place I met Jesus at last week. It's def cool....I dunno about bar studying there though and the PBJ I got there was WAY too messy-->Which wich or whatever we went to has a better one....w/bananas :)