Life as a 3L at Texas Law

3.22.2007

Thumbing Through the Neon Bible




This entire week has been plagued with gloomy, still and indecisive weather- no sun, no rain; not hot or cold. Just there. But everything around me isn't so calm- it's in flux. My seat in a boat for the Spring race season is seemingly in question right now; the flu thing has returned with a vengeance (actually it's more like the "flu-lite," meaning it's not as bad as it was two weeks ago); couples I thought were rock solid are kind of crumbling (get the metaphor?); lindsay lohan is back to her partying ways; and Opposing Counsel had a date tonight.

First things first: I am on a 2-day bed rest and had to cancel all scheduled plans, practices, dates and engagements late last night, today and tomorrow. I plan to be back in business by Saturday night hopefully. Apparently I am exhausted, overly stressed and overwhelmed, yada yada and need to slow down. After I got the word from the powers that be, I made a Gatorade/Theraflu run and rented some moo-vays. Finished "Idiocracy" tonight- it's about a futuristic world in disarray because it is filled with stupid people (directed by Mike Judge). Love that "Daria" creator + Luke Wilson + Maya Rudolph. But my friend Bobby called me when in the middle of "Idiocracy" and told me that I was acting strange and speaking as if I had the logic and thought processes of a 10 year-old. That's what watching that movie did to me.

Senor Green: totally freaking me out. The night after our first date we chatted on le phone for quite some time... You know, one of those after-midnight telephone conversations that you haven't had since you were in high school. It wasn't too inspiring and there wasn't much laughing. Bad sign. Today I found out he has started calculaby downloading all of the music that shows up on my "Current iTunes Track" bar on AIM. And then he asked me workout tips to help with his "handles." Why I would be an authority on such things, no idea. While I do look bulky and mannish these days (it's the damn crew training), I still have some pretty impressive "love" handles myself. Anyways, I was supposed to get coffee with Senor tomorrow but due to the flu-lite such plans have been abandoned. Time will tell what the future holds for me and Senor, but I have become increasingly annoyed with the fact he said he wasn't sure if he could take me out to dinner anytime soon because of what an expensive date I was last time we went out. We went dutch- I paid for myself and didn't to ask him to pay for me a second time. Yeah. And I just realized another reason why the nickname Senor Green fits- our first date was on St. Patty's Day. Completely unintentional, but probably subconscious. red hot. not.

I've been the sounding board of late for several of my very close friends' relationships troubles (all on varying scales of seriousness). It has been a very disheartening and sad time for them, and has forced me to take a hard look at whether I will ever really find the kind of love I want in a lifemate. People I thought were so in love with their partner, have acted in ways that are so disappointing and so selfish that I am beside myself with disillusionment and mourning for what their relationship was. I fear becoming so drunk with the Love Kool-Aid one day that I lose my head and myself. Alas, it shall not be a problem I face any time soon, as there really are no strong prospects right now.

And finally, Opposing Counsel (i.e. "anonymous" on my blog comments pages) has a date tonight. With a nursing student. Who is apparently "cute." I gave him movie and restaurant suggestions (Pan's, Bridge to Terabethia- my first favorite book, and Volver). He asked me if Asti was too presumptuous; I said "no, but a restaurant like Fleming's or Eddie V's might be." To which he responded: "I am trying to get into her pants, not earn billable hours." I think that was a lawyer "joke" about wining and dining clients and then sticking the bill to the client. Apparently that is how Opposing Counsel rolls. Good luck with the ladies and the clients, Opposing. (The cartoon above is Opposing Counsel Vulturo from the pilot Birdman episode- I found it on the first page of an image.google search with "Opposing Counsel" as the search words. Opp Co also happens to really enjoy the show. That was an easy one!)

And this afternoon a strange guy was hanging out by my car in the parking lot at my apartment complex (the hollywood-lookin' one) when I went to get my mail and then followed me up the stairs towards my apartment. It scared me enough to go to the Leasing Office and report the incident- and to also kind of wish I didn't feel so helpless and seengal. And it all comes full circle...

Alas, I bid adieu with these words:
"Stop now before it's too late
Your lover was for hire
Have you noticed he's been late
Nothing lasts forever
That's the way it's gotta be
There's a great black wave in the middle of the sea
For me
For you
For me
It's always for you"
"Black Wave/Bad Vibrations," Arcade Fire (Neon Bible)
Buy/Download/Burn/do whatever you have to do to listen to the new arcarde fire album "Neon Bible"- it is tres fantastico!

4 comments:

Lynn Green said...

Reading your blog gives me the impression that you don't know what to do with yourself let alone with someone else. That may not be the case at all, but that's the impression you give to me.

Good luck with life.

Kaylars Loblaw said...

i don't traffic in insults usually, but your comment is kind of surly and gruff. dude, lighten up- my blogue is just for fun.

Ergo, Chris said...

Opposing Counsel is a such an awesome psuedonym. I hope things go well for him, and I don't even know him.

I am also rather curious about you, superfriend. Like the flu, though, problems have a way of working out. One way or another. It is a bit trite to say, "We endure," but it is accurate, at the least. Ponder on that a bit, perhaps.

Anonymous said...

Don't take it to heart, kaylars, substance must scare him. Reading his blog, he is, after all, an Obama supporter. If you filled le blogue with warm platitudes, he'd feel right at home.