Life as a 3L at Texas Law

3.15.2007

The Madness of March


Big happenings today. VSU beat Duke (which totally messes up all of my brackets) and BC beat Texas Tech. I know, I know, I should've picked BC over Tech, but it's the whole Texas pride thing. I'm not really into NCAA basketball, but I love me some March Madness. Hooray for March 15th!

Today I woke up injured. I have a hurt foot. And I got a lot of rowing in and watched myself row on video which was not as painful as I thought it would be (re: looking at my rolls). It looked really cool how we all were rowing together. It was also interesting to realize that all of the things that go on in my head while I'm rowing- mistakes I think I'm making in technique and form- are not as serious as I think they are. I row not so bad. Other thing that happened: am realizing this one guy I was really falling for is not so interested in me. I hate it when that happens.

Tomorrow we leave this quiet little town that provided the setting for "Steel Magnolias." That's pretty much THE casual conversation topic in this town with people you don't know or don't know if you have anything in common with. The "Steel Magnolias" topic will get you at least about 3 minutes of talk time, and may even segueway into a convo about other movies. The test for that is mentioning Olympia Dukakis- if someone knows who that is, they're money in my book. (For some "Steel Magnolias" fun, please see: http://www.lazydork.com/movies/steelmagnolias.htm for a drinking game.)

I am looking forward to going back home, but I love how I was able to get away from my life and responsibility and immerse myself in something physically and mentally challenging and see drastic improvement in such a short time. I love rowing. And I think I am slowly accepting the fact that maybe rowing will be my life for awhile, and maybe my social life is over for the time being- and that might not be such a bad thing.

Waiting for me back home is an angry ex-boyfriend who wants to hash an argument out. Well, what he said was "maybe I'll be willing to talk to you after Spring Break." Whateves. The argument is over his assholeishness while I had the flu; we disagree as to whether he was a jerk. That's how much of our relationship went. He always won those arguments until I broke up with him. If he doesn't get it still, I see no point in hashing things out. However, my mother and some of my friends think that I need to talk to him and get some closure from the relationship and that I have a left many things unsaid. This is true- but right now, the last thing I want to think about is an ex-boyfriend. I really just want to concentrate on improving my rowing form, get important law things completed, and go on my date to see the "300" with Kate's co-worker who seems like a very nice and pleasant guy. He has yet to be given a nickname. After I meet him, I think I will just "know" what his nickname shall be. Oh, and I am descending upon SXSW this weekend too, with my music badge!

Watch out, world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael and Olympia are first cousins. She campaigned for him.