
Disclaimer: I only watch about two episodes of "American Idol" every season, so I am not a seasoned fan. Also, I have only seen Sanjaya perform on the show twice.
He canceled "Pop Idol" ("American Idol's" older sister) after complaining voters got a little too crazy with their selections. Read between the lines: voters were choosing vocalists and personas he knew lacked long-term marketable appeal, thus being anathema to the purpose of his "Idol" cash cow- to make him lots of money. After shutting down "Pop Idol" he began producing a new show where the judges make all of the decisions as to winners, taking the viewer out as a participant of the process "Idol-ing" process. Now that a pocket of "American Idol" voters have gotten behind underdog competitor Sanjaya Malakar, Simon Cowell is whining that fans of his #1 show are running amok and is threatening to walk off the show if Sanjaya wins.
Cowell obviously doesn't understand the key appeal to "Idol" and its widespread, relatively large die-hard fan base (which is undoubtedly comprised of anyone that actually believes Clay Aiken's publicity campaigns "proving" his heterosexuality). "American Idol" is barely tolerable because of its broad appeal and its reaffirmation of true democratic populism existing in a society where the individual is politically disenfranchised and alienated. Now that voters are getting heretic on Simon Cowell and voting to keep Sanjaya in the proverbial shot, Cowell may decide to kill the show completely off.
But Sanjaya, a jubilant pretty boy whose unique hair styles bring him more infamy than his warbly, off-key and unsure voice, has so much spunk and likeability you can't help but ponder the charming bittersweetness of an actual Sanjaya victory. Mind you, he's not very good- but he is not anything like the Greek tragedy that is William Hung,* He has a Napoleon Dynamite-esque charm that is understandably appealing to the "American Idol" set. His pizazz thas begun an online movement that is currently gaining some steam (see votefortheworst.com)- Sanjaya had 30 million votes cast for him in the last round. Discussion boards and blogs are abuzz with speculation re: his sexual orientation (see http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070314070017AAuhL4I). While his sexual ambiguity may be off-putting to conservative viewers, it may be that the gay community rallies behind him as a figurehead and puts him over the top in the competition (for better or for worse).
I think Simon Cowell must hate democracy. Well, not really. But if Sanjaya wins, it might be the end of "Idol" as we currently know it. First of all it's just rude and unseemly to condemn the decisions of the very people that watch and support his show and ultimately the Simon Cowel/Idol empire (i.e. he is biting the proverbial hand that feeds him). Yes, Simon Cowell does indeed have an Idol empire. Secondly, the whole point of "Idol" is that the American public decides what schmuck gets to be idolized as the next big musical celebrity- and if celebrity isn't democratic, I don't know what is. I don't know how Cowell figures Clay Aiken or Ruben Studdard or even Taylor Hicks makes a better Idol than Sanjaya Malakar. At least Sanjaya is a compelling enogh of a figure.
In other words, Sanjaya "made it to Hollywood" and got as far as he could because the producers saw a character that was different enough to draw in viewers. Now someone who was supposed to obviously get kicked off in the first round is sticking around. Oops!
Like I said, Simon Cowell hates democracy; at least when it doesn't suit him. Otherwise he would let the masses eat their cake.
*I was going to insert a "William Hung Does Elvis" photo but I decided that was going too far. There are some lines even I don't cross
Here is a not-all-that-brain-dead article about the possible coming "Idol" Apocalypse: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2007/03/29/2007-03-29_simon_one_step_closer_to_door_as_sanjaya-1.html
Question: does anyone know how to make links. I am clueless. And I think it is annoying to have to copy and paste a link into a new window myself. Thanks.

6 comments:
Those ideas might satisfy the bien-pensants, but I'm not buying.
And, Moonshine Grill was the final answer. Please check your scorecards.
wait, scratch that ... Galaxy Cafe.
Your true political leanings are revealing themselves, opposinc counsel. Please see the wiki entry on your little phrase there:
Bien pensant French 'good thinking', to someone who accepts and or espouses a fashionable idea after it has been established and maintains it without a great amount of critical thought. The term has found recent use by some on the right (see Right-wing politics) as a way to make an accusation of political correctness, and also to implicitly tie their opponent with the French. The French make a convenient foil due to their opposition to the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, and as a way to appeal to nativist sentiment.
Obviously you hate democracy too.
Re links: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=41379&topic=8915
this blog is the bomb.com
Yep, this blog is Eeciting, isn't it? You paid for your whole seat but you'll only need the edge!
Post a Comment