That's an "abstract" picture of the promenade by the water in Natchitoches, Louisiana, where I am, have been, and will be this entire week. When you're running towards it and your vision is all blurry-fied and there's sweat dripping down your face- it totally looks like that. So what's going on? Lots of crew training, lots of running, lots of painful blisters, an inability to move most of the time, personality conflicts on my squad, frustration towards my coach (who I am always looking at to check if he's looking at me), 6 hours of working out a day, tons and tons and tons of sleeping in my motel room (which would be the worst motel I've ever stayed in except that I've stayed at the skankiest Red Roof Inn in Austin and there were prostitutes in the parking lot and a cross inked onto the sheets and just a general fear that we would be assaulted during the middle of the night), eating of cafeteria dorm food at the fabulous Northwestern State University... I think that's about it. It's been the most trying 3 days of my life- especially since I came right off of the flu. So here's a taste of the last couple of days:
1. No Heroes last night. In its place? Two freaking hours of Howie Mandell, some prom dress wearing chick, and the "suspense" that is "Deal or No Deal"
2. No more match.com. I've decided I am SOOOOO not doing online dating anymore.
3. I have a semi-date on Saturday to see the "300" with Kate's co-worker. Please see this article: http://www.slate.com/id/2161450/ to find out why I am less excited about seeing it now than I was before I read it. Damn social consciousness! Kate kind of thought we'd be a good match, so we're talking on instant messenger every day. So far so good- he seems very sweet. Not too much to say there, other than he's a computer guy and likes Cheetos and seems pretty level-headed. And we both like Battlestar.
4. Crew boys = kind of disappointing. I am starting to get to know some of them- they're all nice guys... well most of them are nice guys. Some of them think since they row crew they're le shiot- one of them apparently likes to throw frisbees really hard at some of the girls and hit them during Ultimate and say it's a turnover. But for the most part they're very sweet and interesting/funny to talk to at mealtimes. Most of the crew boys are at least a couple of years younger than me (undergrads), so I guess I shouldn't be expecting much, and I'm not. It's sweet to watch all of the flirting that goes on between the girls and the boys- I think some of the girls are totally oblivious to the guys that like them since they are a bit tomboyish. Crew camp isn't like normal camp- there's not a whole bunch of random hooking up, so all of the interaction is kind of brother-sisterish with sexual undertones. I was really surprised to find out there are only 3 couples out of 60+ people on the team. I guess it's because we're a team and work together so much.
5. Today my coach decided that he would video record us rowing so that we could watch ourselves row and thus improve our form. He decided to tell us about 20 minutes into our warm-up on the lake that he would be doing this. The entire boat I was on, full of girls, had decided it was so hot we would all row without shirts on (we had sports bras on). Most of the guys usually, regardless of whether they should are not, row without their shirts pretty much all of the time. Anyways, we were all pretty unhappy with the ironic twist of events/fact our coach thought it would be funny not to tell us we would be getting to see our flabby tummies on celluloid (well, I guess it's digital) before we could've not left our tops on the dock.
Well, this has been a really tough week so far. I can't believe it's already Tuesday. Yesterday, I thought I would cry 10x during practice. Today was much better. Apparently there's a 60% chance of rain tomorrow. I have never rowed in the rain tomorrow, and am looking forward to it. I'm not feeling very witty today.
Opposing Counsel doesn't think I am in my blogging groove yet. I think he is an arse, too. Arse!

1 comment:
Howie Mandel = my hero.
Post a Comment